Friday, April 11, 2014

media fast

This past week for the 7 fast, it was media.  I didn't completely cut out all media, especially when I was sick in bed, but I did cut out twitter, facebook, instagram, most Internet, tv, and iPhone games and apps.  I thought it was going to be really hard, but it wasn't.  I read a lot of books, granted they were chick lit, but I read 1 book in a little over one day, if I could keep up this pace I would have my huge stack read in no time.
Most importantly I learned that social media is NOT good for me.  I am a curious person, I like to know everything about everything.  I also hate feeling like I am missing out or NOT knowing something that everyone else does.  I hate being the last to know something.  My fear of missing out on something or everyone knowing something that I don't has lead me to be a bit of a social media addict.  I feel like I should be constantly checking in, in fears that I am missing something, it didn't help that Facebook noticed I hadn't been on and would send me daily emails trying to tell me all that I was missing.  Ahhhh, they know my weakness!  Other than the tempting e-mail staying away wasn't that hard. 
I also realized that social media especially Facebook isn't always good for me because I fall victim to comparison.  I have a tendency to compare myself to others and easily believe that other grass is a whole lot greener than mine.  This is quite silly, I know, but I can't stop.  People, for the most part, put there best side of them out there on social media, their well crafted, best self, not always there true self and comparing my life with someone's best spin is like comparing apples to oranges and yes silly.  In order for me to be happier and more content, I need to live my life not in comparison to others and this is a whole lot easier away from social media, especially Facebook. 
So I am standing at a crossroads, do I shut down the account or do I just strictly limit it? 
I love being able to easily communicate and share photos with friends and family across the country, but I need to stay away.  I should probably continue to reduce my friends down, but it is hard.  I feel like Facebook, in a way is like opening Pandora's box.  Right now I am trying to stay away as much as possible, it just isn't good and yes I am missing out, but I am also learning that sometimes that isn't a bad thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails